Kungsleden is the famous long-distance trail in the north of Sweden and divided into two routes: the northern and the southern Kungsleden. He is also called the King’s Trail. The northern section leads about 440 kilometers from Abisko to Hemavan, while the southern section takes you to Storlien, about 350 kilometers from Sälen. We hiked the first 300km on the northern Kungsleden from Abisko to Jäckvik. The trail will also take you around Sweden’s highest mountain, the Kebnekaise (2099m).
Since the Kungsleden is beyond the arctic circle in the north of Sweden, you should take advantage of the summer months for hiking. On the one hand it gets very cold here in winter and on the other hand it gets dark very early. The special feature of the summer, however, is that it is still bright at night – in July, for example, you have 24 hours of daylight – so you do not have to worry about setting up your tent in time for nightfall. The only drawback in the summer are the many mosquitoes in certain areas that can really annoy you on windless days.
Tour information 12 days Tour Kungsleden
Distance: 300 km
Ascent: 5665 m
Descent: 5665 m
Stages: 12 days
For further information follow the stages below
1 Abisko to Abiskojaure, 5 km
2 Abiskojaure to Alesjaure, 6,5 km
3 Alesjaure to Sälka, 4,5 km
4 Sälka to Teusajaure, 11 km
5 Teusajaure to Saltoluokta, 9 km
6 Saltoluokta to Skierffe (1179m), 9 km
7 Skierffe to Fjällstation Jägge, 8 km
8 Jäggehütte to Kvikkjokk, 5 km
9 Kvikkjokk to Tsielekjakk hut, 6,5 km
10 Tsielekjakk hut to Tjäurakatan, 4,5 km
11 Tjäurakatan to Hostel Vuonatjviken, 11 km
12 Vuonatjviken to Jakkvikk, 9 km
Detailed map including our overnight stays, altitude profile, images Click to follow
Usefull information about the Kungsleden – King´s Trail, Sweden
The Kungsleden is easy to find and signposted the entire route. Partly you run here on narrow wooden boards that lead over particularly muddy places or over rough terrain. Throughout the route, you’ll find yourself in shelters, the so-called mountain stations, where you can get something to eat and spend the night. Camping anywhere along the Kungsleden is no problem.
- The Kungsleden trail does not contain any technically demanding passages. The biggest challenge is the changeable weather. All in all, endurance is the key to this tour.
- The website www.resrobot.se provides good planning services, while train tickets can be conveniently booked online at www.sj.se. You need some time for traveling in Sweden, because often there are only a few transport connections per day.
- Cash is not always accepted, you need a credit card. Bus connections via www.lapplandspilen.se, timetables at www.ltr.se.
- The assortment of food in the mountain stations is comprehensive, but a bit more expensive. It is advisable to bring a tent, because the right of public access applies in Sweden . For one night you can build your tent in nature and stay anywhere. Most of the relevant Kungsleden huts are run by the STF, so a membership in Svenska Turist Föreningen is recommended. The annual fee for families/couples is 450 SEK and includes discounts for accommodation and boat transfer.
- Mosquitoes can be a nightmare in summer. We experienced this only in specific ereas like Aktse or the forest around Kvikkjokk.
- The Kungsleden is marked in most sections. Sometimes a simple map is usefull. Don´t spend money for expensive maps.
- Electricity can be a challange. It´s a good advice to bring your powerbank, solarpanel. We use the Base9 Solar.
Our personal hiking report
We invite you to read our story, experiences and adventures! First, because they come firsthand. Second, we offer a lot of additional information. Thirdly, we would like to take you on our hike on the famous Kungsleden in a very private way. You are welcome to leave a comment. Click to read our hiking report
Video of the tour
For more information about the hiking trip Kungsleden – Kings Trail don´t hesitate to contact us. Feel free to watch our videos on YouTube and explore our other trails we´ve experienced for you!
Take care and go out and make it happen!